Location: Ferry St. Bridge along River
Alton Baker Park, Eugene's largest developed park, is home to dozens of recreational features and facilities serving the City of Eugene since 1959. The park is made up of two major areas, the more developed West Alton Baker Park, and the 237-acre Whilamut Natural Area of Alton Baker Park.
Featuring duck ponds, trails for biking or walking and a small scale model of our solar system, Alton Baker is one of the most multi functional parks in Eugene. It is officially the largest park in at over 400 acres. Located on the Willamette river it has many ponds, grassy lawns and picnic areas, along with various trails, one leading to the Cuthburt Amphitheater where it features outdoor musical shows. Further down the trail from Cuthburt, Autzen stadium is also accessible.
The Defazio footbridge connects both sides of the Willamette and is a prime location for bicyclists. Canoes can be rented during the summer and one can catch a variety of wildlife here especially of the bird variety. Many other amusements are accessible through this park including the science factory, a dog park, a BMX bike racing path, community gardens, rock garden and a no-leash dog park.
West Alton Baker Park Developed Area
Located immediately east of the Ferry Street Bridge along the north bank of the Willamette River, this portion of Alton Baker Park has had a long history of development, first under the jurisdiction of Lane County Parks Department, and more recently under the jurisdiction of the City of Eugene Parks and Open Space Division. The original 20 acre parcel was purchased by Lane County in 1881, however most of the park land was acquired by Lane County Parks between 1959 and 1964. The current size of the park is approximately 400 acres.
The park was dedicated to Alton F. Baker on June 30, 1967, by Clay Meyers, Secretary of State. Alton F. Baker, co-founder of the Eugene Register Guard, was fond of park acquisition issues, as he was instrumental in not only this park, but others such as Maurie Jacobs as well. Mr. Baker dreamed of having a large park on the north bank of the Willamette River.
The first master plan for the park was adopted in 1973. The park has had several plan revisions since then, the latest being adopted in 2000. Key features of the present day park are listed to the right.